Friday 15 July 2011

Every day we tried to be good


Sometimes, when I finish a piece of work, put it aside for a bit and suddenly come across it again - I see it as if for the first time. If I'm lucky, and then I know I've got something right, I fill up with pleasure at what I've made. An idea which used to live in my head and in a tiny drawing on a scrap of paper - has become real! It's almost like feeling a kind of tenderness, what a weird idea, and there's a sense of recognition, by which I mean, I find some of what I wanted to express. I can see its faults too, but that's o.k. Christian Boltanski, whose work fascinates and moves me, said somewhere that he wants his audience not to discover but to reconnect. Less modest than you think at first. Good enough for me.

Materials: crocheted from Jaggerspun Zephyr Wool-Silk
Dimensions: 35 cm x 35 cm and 34 cm x 35 cm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something quite poignant about these two pieces. I taught art in a girls' junior school for a number of years and the openess and candour of the pupils always impressed me. I have the same feelings about your recent work with its underlying vunerability. Strength in pairs. Congratulations on forthcoming show.

mansuetude said...

Hey in there! Lithuania sounds wonderful, and all your work traveling about the world. You deserve it!

Though very different than your work, a shape of some of these reminded me of your lovely work. Thought I would come over for a hello.

http://www.aparnaart.net/art-sculpture.htm

Many blessings your way!