Saturday 28 April 2007

Art is alchemy


I received in the post some photographs which I’d sent off for processing. I’d been playing around with one of my crocheted dresses, you’ve seen it here before in a different incarnation, filling it with some more of my unravelled cotton wool (from another red dress) and looking at this I felt compelled to think about language, words issuing forth from my mouth like a stream of red beads: spilling, leaking, flowing, slipping, running, pouring, emanating…
Had a look in my beloved Thesaurus and found these: leaking, discharging, disgorging, seeping, oozing, exuding, dripping, trickling, escaping, divulging, disclosing, revealing, exposing, making public, passing on, giving away, letting slip, flowing, running, pouring, streaming, coursing, rolling, sweeping, drifting, gliding, moving, proceeding, circulating, oozing, seeping, surging, rushing, gushing, welling, spouting, spurting, cascading, abounding, teeming, originating, issuing, proceeding, arising, deriving, emerging, springing, emanating… Love the sense of movement, of urgency, of process, of change and exchange, of flux and unreified being. The cycles and processes of living and dying perpetually intertwined, constantly contaminated and enhanced by each other.
That my little dress should give rise to such grand existential chains of thought may be down to my easily excited and at times feverish imagination. Now I am thinking of alchemical processes, bringing together or dividing substances, turning one into another - o.k., I’m stopping here. But remember: a girl contains the seeds for a woman, a hag, a witch, a crone, a beauty, a warrior, a mother, a murderer, a dancer, a scientist, a musician, an artist. An artist!

3 comments:

MoonChild said...

thx for sharing!
enjoy much

Cally said...

fabulous, both the work and the outpouring of words.

redredday said...

dear Marjojo, i really love what you wrote here (then and now even more - it is timeless!), especially the part about a girl containing seeds for a woman. i think that is very much what your dresses are about being in the child-form. perhaps this red one in particular, and therefore these incarnations/transformations are necessary/part of the making of it.